|Use||Quests, Ascensions, Expeditions|
The "ascension" cycle flavorfully represents an adventurer's quest to find their true calling. These cards gain quest counters from triggered abilities, and have a second set of abilities that become active or usable once a threshold is reached.
The "quest" cycle was originally concepted as maps, and portray the search for treasure in Zendikar's wilderness. Mechanically, the quest cycle is similar to the ascension cycle, except that the eventual activation requires that the enchantment be sacrificed.
Worldwake revisited the theme with another cycle of quests:
- Quest for Ula's Temple ()
- Quest for the Nihil Stone ()
- Quest for the Goblin Lord ()
- Quest for Renewal ()
- Noel deCordova (October 15, 2009). "Ascension Pending". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 14, 2009). "Achieving Zendikar, Part II". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges (September 22, 2009). "Are You the Beastmaster?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (September 18, 2009). "This Land Is Your Land". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.