- 1 Description
- 2 Not-races
- 3 Notes and references
Description[edit | edit source]
"Race" designates the unique genetic makeup of a sapient (and usually humanoid) creature group. Besides race, most Magic cards with humanoid creatures may also have another creature type: the class represents their job, career or calling in life. This is known as the race/class model.
Note that the Magic approach is somewhat different from the scientific one. In biology, the basic unit of biological classification and taxonomic rank is "species", which is defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. Race in that aspect is defined as a genetically distinct population of individuals within the same species.
Humanoid races[edit | edit source]
- Ape, Azra, Centaur (part Horse), Cyclops, Dauthi, Dryad, Dwarf, Elf, Faerie, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Gorgon, Hag, Human, Kithkin, Kobold, Kor, Merfolk (Fish-folk), Metathran, Minotaur (part bull or sheep), Moonfolk (part Rabbit), Naga (part snake), Noggle (part ass), Ogre, Orc, Ouphe, Satyr (part goat), Siren, Slith, Soltari, Surrakar (reptillian), Thalakos, Troll, Vedalken, Viashino (Lizard-folk), Werewolf, Yeti.
Humanoid races without their own subtype[edit | edit source]
- Ainok (Houndfolk), Amphin (Salamanderfolk), Aven (Birdfolk), Khenra (Jackalfolk), Kitsune (Foxfolk), Leonin (Catfolk), Loxodon (Elephantfolk), Nantuko/Kraul (Insectfolk), Nezumi (Ratfolk), Orochi (Snakefolk), Rakshasas (Catdemons), Rhox (Rhinofolk), Wolfir (Wolffolk).
Humanoid races (in appearance only)[edit | edit source]
- Aetherborn, Angel, Archon, Avatar, Bringer, Demigod, Djinn, Efreet, God, Lamia, Nymph, Reflection, Shade, Shapeshifter, Skeleton, Sliver (Magic 2014 version), Specter, Spirit, Thrull, Vampire, Wraith, Zombie.
Sapient non-humanoid races[edit | edit source]
These races only have a class in rare exceptions.
- Beeble, Carrier, Cephalid (part Octopus), Demon, Devil, Dragon, Drone, Eldrazi, Elemental, Eye, Gremlin, Harpy, Homarid (part Crab), Homunculus, Horror, Illusion, Imp, Incarnation, Kirin, Lammasu, Nephilim, Nightmare, Nightstalker, Phyrexian, Spawn, Sphinx (part Cat), Spirit, Thallid (part Fungus), Treefolk (part Plant), Zubera.
Crossbreeds[edit | edit source]
Not-races[edit | edit source]
Animals[edit | edit source]
- Antelope, Ape, Aurochs, Badger, Bat, Bear, Bird, Boar, Camel, Caribou, Cat, Crab, Crocodile, Dinosaur, Dog, Elephant, Elk, Ferret, Fish, Fox, Frog, Goat, Hippo, Horse, Hyena, Insect, Jackal, Jellyfish, Leech, Lizard, Mole, Mongoose, Monkey, Mouse, Nautilus, Octopus, Ox, Oyster, Otter, Pangolin, Rabbit, Rat, Rhino, Sable, Salamander, Scorpion, Shark, Sheep, Slug, Snake, Spider, Sponge, Squid, Squirrel, Starfish, Trilobite, Turtle, Whale, Wolf, Wolverine, Wombat, Worm.
Animals (fantastical)[edit | edit source]
- Atog, Basilisk, Beast, Brushwagg, Camarid, Cockatrice, Drake, Gargoyle, Griffin, Hellion, Hippogriff, Hydra, Kavu, Kraken, Leviathan, Lhurgoyf, Licid, Manticore, Mutant, Pegasus, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Serpent, Slith, Sliver, Spike, Unicorn, Wurm.
Plantlife[edit | edit source]
Microorganisms[edit | edit source]
- Assembly-Worker, Blinkmoth, Chimera, Construct, Dreadnought, Gnome, Golem, Juggernaut, Masticore, Myr, Pentavite, Pest, Prism, Sculpture, Servo, Scarecrow, Tetravite, Thopter, Triskelavite.
Non-sapient creatures[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (November 25, 2020). "Can you give your rigorous definitions of the "types of creature subtypes", like class, race and others, please?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (August 10, 2011). "Magic's Exclusive Creatures". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Zombie is a weird race/class hybrid. Mark Rosewater (November 23, 2020). "Which one isn't a race among Dinosaur, Elf, Vampire, Zombie?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 23, 2020). "I guess you’d say some creature types are neither?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 24, 2020). "What makes Dinosaur not a race? What is it? What else is in that category?". Blogatog. Tumblr.