|Raksha Golden Cub|
|The Moons of Mirrodin, The Fifth Dawn|
Raksha Golden Cub was the kha, or leader, of the leonin tribe of Mirrodin. He was a childhood "friend" of Slobad, who was used as his training partner (but more often than not he served as a punching bag). Raksha often wore the 'Mask of Suns', a Leonin battle artifact fashioned by the first kha and most legendary of Leonin, Dakan, and said to contain his strength and cunning.
The first-born son of the longest-living kha on record, Beylyss Snarling Tooth, and his khanha Rhipuur, he was raised to rule. A rare single birth, he was only the fifth in the royal line, including Dakan himself. Due in part to his upbringing by a well-travelled nursemaid, Shonahn, he was accepting of the plane's other races, which contributed to his relationship with Slobad. Raksha's parents died in a hunting accident when he was still young, and on his ascension to the throne he decided to take his people's nickname for him, "Golden Cub," as his surname. He was the youngest ever kha, leading some to believe he was the first kha's second-coming. His first name, Raksha, was a family name meaning "Lord of the Eternal Sun," referring to the leonin name for Mirrodin's Core.
Like Glissa, Raksha was attacked by Memnarch's minions to check if he had the planeswalker's spark. During the fight, his beloved, Rishan, was killed. After Memnarch's defeat, he was sent back to his own native plane, which is still unknown.
- Represented in:
- Depicted in:
- Quoted or referred to:
- Rei Nakazawa (May 03, 2004). "The Breaking Fifth Dawn". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 10, 2004). "Mask of Suns". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Character Profile: Raksha Golden Cub, Kha of Taj Nar (archived)
- Cory J. Herndon. (2004.) The Fifth Dawn, Wizards of the Coast. ISBN-13 0-7869-3205-8.
- Doug Beyer (December 08, 2010). "The Nonhuman Cultures of Mirrodin". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.