- For the character nicknamed "Rat", see Araithia Shokta.
|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
66 cardsas of Streets of New Capenna
92.4% 1.5% 4.5% 1.5%
Rats are small, omnivorous rodents belonging to the genus Rattus. These common and prolific creatures can be found in many planes, and are often plague - and disease carriers (Pestilence Rats, Diseased Vermin). Rats often appear in large numbers.
- Determining their own power and/or toughness based on the number of rats in play: Swarm of Rats, Plague Rats, Pestilence Rats, Pack Rat, Relentless Rats, ...
- One-shot discard effects, especially as enter-the-battlefield (after the original Ravenous Rats) or death triggers: Drainpipe Vermin, Hellhole Rats, Rotting Rats, Chittering Rats, Sanity Gnawers, ...
Types of Rats
Wharf Rats were found in port cities and other places in Golthonor, like Balthesa. They were responsible for the death of Xarl’s sister Init. Other Rats hide in bogs, sewers or crypts. On Otaria they were known to prey on graves.
Nezumi are a race of anthropomorphic rats native to Kamigawa. They live in the bogs of the Takenuma swamp and on the outskirts of human cities like Numai and Towashi, sometimes raiding those cities for supplies or fun. Other races of Kamigawa ostracize and stereotype the nezumi, which results in them living in poverty and resenting the other races. They often have the Ninja creature class. Some Nezumi Shamans use incantations to summon and control Insects to swarm and distract their enemies.
The sewers of the Undercity of Ravnica are infested by rabid Sewer Sirens. They mesmerize their victims, urging them to pet their furry snout. They don't attack unless a hand is put in their mouth.
- Black-Nose, Ninja
- Ink-Eyes, a female Ninja, serving the dark forces on Kamigawa.
- Marrow-Gnawer, a gang leader
- Nighteyes, an infamous necromancer.
- Nashi, Tamiyo's adopted son.
- Dirty Wererat is a Human Rat.
- Rotting Rats and Gutter Skulk are Zombie Rats.
- Gobhobbler Rats, Hellhole Rats, Sanity Gnawers, Silver-Fur Master and Greasefang, Okiba Boss are the only multicolored Rats.
- Swarmyard is a land that regenerates rats.
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Rat||Black||Creature — Rat||1/1|
|Black||Creature — Rat||1/1||Deathtouch|
|Rat Rogue||Black||Creature — Rat Rogue||1/1|
|Pack Rat||Black||Creature — Rat||*/*||Pack Rat's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Rats you control.
, Discard a card: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Pack Rat.
Nezumi in the Neon Dynasty world guide.
- Magic Arcana (June 09, 2004). "Sketches: Relentless Rats". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (June 13, 2002). "Rat flavored". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gwendolyn Kestrel (September 15, 2004). "Security". magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast
- Magic Arcana (October 25, 2004). "Nezumi in Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (July 05, 2005). "A Couple of Misers". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Nicky Drayden (October 17, 2018). "Testing the Dark Waters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar (January 05, 2005), "A Servant’s Mission", magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast
- Magic Arcana (May 10, 2005). "Stir the Grave scene". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.