|Last Used||Strixhaven: School of Mages|
A deck can have any number of cards named CARDNAME.|
A deck can have up to NUMBER cards named CARDNAME.
16.7% 50% 33.3%
This mechanic was first printed in black, but not necessary exclusive in that color. It is named after the Relentless Rats, and was originally inspired by Richard Garfield's Plague Rats.
Throne of Eldraine introduced the card Seven Dwarves, which has a variant on the Relentless ability. It allows players to break the "four-of" deckbuilding rule but places a different maximum limit on the card. This restriction applies to Limited as well as Constructed.
Cards with relentless
- Mark Rosewater (February 22, 2018). "Is the Relentless Rats ability tied to black or is black the only place it's been done?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 01, 2017). "Why did Shadowborn Apostle and Relentless Rats get an ability that lets them dodge the deck construction rules?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 12, 2017). "Is the relentless rats ability tied to creatures?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 10, 2019). "Is there an internal R&D term for the Shadowborn Apostle any number ability?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 21, 2019). "More City Talk". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 12, 2019). "Does "a deck can have up to (number) cards named _____" have a nickname?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Eli Shiffrin (September 11, 2019). "I was going to wait until seven people had asked...". Twitter.