|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
3.9% 3.9% 1.3% 60.5% 3.9% 5.3% 7.9% 1.3% 7.9% 2.6% 1.3%
Though capable of reproducing by spontaneous generation, they are usually created by thallids or treefolk. "Saproling" seems to be a generic term for small plant/fungus creatures rather than a specific species.
The first known saprolings on Dominaria were native to Sarpadia. They shared a symbiotic relationship with the thallids and spread rapidly by feeding off of the deaths resulting from the thallid rebellion against the elves. These early Dominarian saprolings had a long serpentine body and vicious fangs.
The saprolings of Yavimaya shared ties with the treefolk of the forest. They proved remarkably effective against undead during the Phyrexian Invasion, as they would drop out of the trees and burst open, spreading rotting agents over the Phyrexian zombies that would cause them to rapidly decay. As Yavimaya had been heavily involved in preparation for the invasion, it may be that their saprolings were specifically bred for that purpose.
In the present, saprolings are raised and herded by thallids, who utilize them as a food source. These saprolings resemble fungi and have a great number of tentacles, which are used for locomotion as well as feeding.
After decades of Dominarian desolation, the saprolings of Dominaria were different than those previously described. They were creatures made of thick kudzu vines, moss, algae, and fungi.
Saprolings mainly exist in the jungles of Ixalan, where they are tended by dryads and sometimes even develop on dinosaurs. Unlike many Saprolings, they resemble flowers that move about in a manner similar to insects.
Saprolings are also present on Jund, one of the shards of Alara. They are created of plant matter, usually fungal, and have a strong connection with rotting corpses. They have a much different appearance than the other planes' saprolings, almost appearing shelled.
Saprolings exist in the urban environments of Ravnica as well. They are particularly common in the Selesnya Conclave, where they bond with the guild's root-kin elementals. Selesnya's saprolings are much more plant-like than the fungal Dominarian saprolings, resembling crystals enveloped in floral tendrils. The Golgari Swarm's saprolings are made of the bond between plants and rotting flesh that the guild seems to exemplify and have a gnarled, root-like appearence, while saprolings created by those of the Gruul Clans are fierce and resemble multiheaded centipedes.
- Sprout from Time Spiral was originally a Saproling with flash called Sap-rise! R&D changed it to make a token because they decided that they liked Saprolings better as a token-only type.
- Saproling Burst is the only saproling maker that produces tokens with size other than 1/1.
- Mark Rosewater (April 28, 2018). "What exactly are saprolings?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 29, 2018). "What made saprolings go from weird snakevines to cute and cuddly mushroom things?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 18, 2017). "Could we ever have a Saproling that is an actual creature card?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (December 24, 2008). "How to Design a Hellion and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (August 17, 2005). "Ninth Edition Saproling Token Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 11, 2006). "Time Spiral Token Art #1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 28, 2005). "Ravnica Style Guide: Saprolings". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 13, 2005). "Doubling Viashino". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 01, 2019). "I would like to ask for some novel saproling trivia if possible.". Blogatog. Tumblr.