Description[edit | edit source]
The Secret Lair Series is Wizard of the Coast's first full foray into selling single reprints directly to players.
The first Secret Lair series all consisted of alternate art reprints. Wizards of the Coast was trying to work with artists they usually didn't: street artists, comic book artists, album cover designers, etc. Alternately, they used traditional Magic artists working with very non-traditional art briefs.
With the The Walking Dead series, the premise of only reprints with alternate art was abandoned. Mark Heggen revealed that R&D views Secret Lair platform as a product - testing grounds platform that lets them try things they can't do in normal products. He acknowledged that it had been art up to 2020, but that they had broadened the concept to speak to audiences of different sizes. If they identify a small group that would be thrilled by a specific product, this could cater to them: "like game of Magic the Secret Lair will always try new things and evolve - the first year focused on art which is the low hanging fruit" and "as we have new ideas and want to try new things to make the game joyful for more people, Secret Lair is the place to do that experimentation".
Even though the reaction among the fans was very negative, the Walking Dead was the best selling drop, luring in buyers from outside of the Magic world. This prompted the company to keep on experimenting in this realm.
Drop Series[edit | edit source]
All cards in the print-to-demand Secret Lair Drop Series have a rare or mythic rare shooting star expansion symbol. The tokens have a common expansion symbol. The Secret Lair Drop Series are English only.
Each "drop" contains between three and seven cards and/or tokens in a customized collector box, costing either $29.99, $39.99, or $49.99 depending on the drop – some of which use premium foil cards as well. Additionally, the "drops" can contain digital product redemption codes for MTG Arena or MTG Online for various online products to be used in their respective platform. The drops are only available for purchase from the Wizards of the Coast webshop secretlair.wizards.com. The first year, each drop usually only lasted for 24 hours (though there were some exceptions). "Superdrops" were introduced as multi-day sales that include multiple different drops that can be purchased individually or as part of a bundle. Additional information on the contents of each Secret Lair Drop can be found on the webshop secretlair.wizards.com.
In the second year, Wizards of the Coast will focus more on superdrops, with solitary drops still possible for special occasions.
|#||Drop||Card numbers||Release date||Price
|1||Bitterblossom Dreams||012 - 016||2019-12-03||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil||MTGO Avatar x4|
|2||Eldraine Wonderland||001 - 005||2019-12-04||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|3||Restless in Peace||006 - 008||2019-12-05||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|4||Seeing Visions||029 - 032||2019-12-06||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|5||<explosion sounds>||017 - 021||2019-12-07||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|6||Kaleidoscope Killers||009 - 011||2019-12-08||$39.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|7||OMG KITTIES!||022 - 028||2019-12-09||$39.99||Y||Non-Foil||MTGA Avatar x2|
|8||Year of the Rat||033 - 036||2020-01-27||$39.99||Y|
|9||Theros Stargazing, Volume I||068 - 070||2020-02-14||$39.99||Y|
|10||Theros Stargazing, Volume II||071 - 073||2020-02-14||$39.99||Y|
|11||Theros Stargazing, Volume III||074 - 076||2020-02-14||$39.99||Y|
|12||Theros Stargazing, Volume IV||077 - 079||2020-02-14||$39.99||Y|
|13||Theros Stargazing, Volume V||080 - 082||2020-02-14||$39.99||Y|
|14||International Women's Day||051 - 055||2020-03-08||$49.99||Y|
|15||Thalia - Beyond the Helvault||037 - 040||2020-03-12||$29.99||Y||MTGA Card Styles|
|16||April Fools||060 - 062†||2020-09-11||N/A‡|
|17||The Godzilla Lands||063 - 067||2020-05-07||$29.99||Y|
|18||Full Sleeves: The Tattoo Pack||041 - 045||2020-06-01||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|19||Can You Feel with a Heart of Steel?||056 - 058||2020-06-02||$39.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|20||The Path Not Traveled||087 - 090||2020-06-03||$39.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|21||Mountain, Go||083 - 086||2020-06-04||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|22||Ornithological Studies||091 - 095||2020-06-05||$29.99||Y||Non-Foil|
|23||Prime Slime||133 - 137||2020-08-19||$29.99|
|24||Every Dog Has Its Day||096 - 099||2020-08-26||$29.99||$39.99||Y||Foil / Non-Foil|
|25||Happy Yargle Day!||110 - 114||2020-09-03||$29.99||$39.99||Foil / Non-Foil|
|26||Showcase: Zendikar Revisited||154 - 158||2020-09-25||$29.99||$39.99||Y|
|27||The Walking Dead||143 - 153||2020-10-04||$49.99||Non-Foil|
|28||Extra Life 2020||164 - 167||2020-11-06||$59.99||Y||Foil|
|29||Artist Series: Seb McKinnon||119 - 122||2020-11-30||$29.99||$39.99||Y||Foil / Non-Foil|
|30||Happy Little Gathering||100 - 109||2020-11-30||$29.99||$39.99||Foil / Non-Foil||MTGA Non Foil|
|31||Hope You Like Squirrels||195 - 200||2020-11-30||$39.99||Y||Foil|
|32||A Box of Rocks||201 - 205||2020-11-30||$29.99||$39.99||Foil / Non-Foil|
|33||Party Hard, Shred Harder||138 - 142||2020-11-30||$29.99||Non-Foil|
|34||Faerie, Faerie, Faerie Rad||115 - 118||2021-02-12||$39.99|
|35||The Unfathomable Crushing Brutality of Basic Lands||239 - 243||2021-02-12||$29.99||$39.99|
|36||Valentine's Day 2021||214 - 219||2021-02-12||$29.99||$39.99|
|37||Showcase: Kaldheim – Part 1||220 - 222||2021-02-12||$24.99||$34.99|
|38||Showcase: Kaldheim – Part 2||223 - 225||2021-02-12||$29.99||$39.99|
|39||Black is Magic||244 - 250||2021-02-22||$39.99||$49.99|
^† As of June 22, 2020, card 059 is removed from the set and won't be printed.
^‡ Small numbers of the set were allocated to all WPN locations in September, 2020, to be used at their discretion.
Artist Series[edit | edit source]
The Artist Series is a sub-series of drops for which a famous artist is allowed to choose four Magic cards they want to illustrate. They get "carte blanche"; total freedom to do what they want. Artists who have received such a series include:
- Seb McKinnon
- Johannes Voss (to be released in 2021)
- Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio (to be released in 2022)
- Sam Burley
- Nils Hamm
- Chris Rahn
Expected drops[edit | edit source]
- Read the Fine Print (four creatures and one enchantment).
- A drop with illustrations by noted comic book artist Fiona Staples.
- A drop focused on Dinosaurs.
- An "art deco-style" drop with Nature's Lore (art by Jeff Soto; new flavor text)
- One or two drops featuring the ten Shock lands.
- A drop with allied colored Mystical Archive cards.
Bonus cards[edit | edit source]
Each drop is delivered with a bonus card in the package. The chosen card may vary, but each drop only comes with a certain selection of cards. This usually has a theme connected to that specific drop.
Ultimate Edition[edit | edit source]
|Set||Card numbers||Release date||Price|
|Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition||001 - 005||2020-05-29||Around $400|
|Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition 2||011 - 020||2021-03-05||Around $115|
References[edit | edit source]
- Tom Marks (November 25, 2019). "Magic: The Gathering Reveals New Secret Lair Drop Series With Wild Art". Ca.ign.com.
- Mark Heggen (November 25, 2019). "Revealing Secret Lair". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Weekly MTG - Secret Lair: The Walking Dead (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (October 2, 2020).
- Weekly MTG: Secret Lair 2021 Sneak Peak. Magicthegather.com (December 3, 2020).
- Wizards of the Coast (March 13, 2020). "Making Fetch Happen—Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- MTGSecretLair. Twitter.
- WPN (September 2, 2020). "Sneak Peek: Zendikar Rising Marketing Kit". Wizards Play Network.
- Seb McKinnon (November 24, 2020). "MtG Secret Lair: Artist Series Thread". Twitter.
- David McCoy (December 10, 2020). "Wizards Announces 3 More Artists That Will Get Their Own Secret Lair Drops". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Payneswalker (October 3, 2020). "New Drops?". Reddit.
- David McCoy (December 4, 2020). "Secret Lair's 2021 Plans Revealed: Focus on Artists and Superdrops". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Secret Lair Leak for Shocks?. Reddit (April 15, 2021).
- Mystical Archive Secret Lair leak. Reddit (April 15, 2021).
- MetalGearHorus (February 24, 2021). "My Secreversary 2020 Arrived!". Reddit.