Serial numbering means every individual card is marked, either by a machine or by hand, with a unique number, usually followed by the maximum number in the run. Serial numbering first appeared on non-Magic trading cards in 1990 with Pro Set Football's Vince Lombardi Trophy Hologram card.
The 100 mirrored Viscera Seers are the first series of serial numbered cards to appear in the context of Magic: The Gathering. The first of these cards was found in November 2021 as a bonus card in a foil Phyrexian Praetors: Compleat Edition packaging. The second card found was #15 and was found in a non-foil version of the same Secret Lair drop.
- Serial Number. Baseballcardpedia.com.
- DefGav (July 30, 2013). "The Best Serial Numbers!". Baseballcardbreakdown.blogspot.com.
- Trading Cards Explained. Upperdeck.com.
- Ben Bleiweiss (November 11, 2021). "Just opened what appears to be an AMAZINGLY RARE card.". Twitter.
- Andrew Smith, Facebook, #MTGRarities: Major Misprints, Test Prints, Oddities