Showcase cards were introduced in Throne of Eldraine. Showcase is not one treatment but a catch-all term to cover a variety of different treatments of cards that embody the spirit of the relevant sets. On showcase cards, the art and card frame play into the set's theme.
Each set has its own unique showcase cards. Which cards get the treatment (and usually, it will just be cards from that set), and at what rarity, will vary from set to set. Showcase cards replace cards of the same rarity as the non showcase card in booster packs. The showcase cards don't require a mechanic to correlate with a new frame. It can be any theme.
|Release||Set||Type of cards||Number||Style||Notes||Example|
|2019-10||Throne of Eldraine||Cards with adventure||30 (#273-302)||Art nouveau/storybook||Flaxen Intruder|
|2020-01||Theros Beyond Death||Gods (except the BaB promo), Demigods and Nyx basic lands||16 (#250-254 + #258-268)||The constellations of Nyx||Daxos, Blessed by the Sun|
|2020-04||Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths||Creatures with mutate and the five triome lands||35 (#279-313)||Comic-book illustration||Rares and mythic rares are full-art.||Illuna, Apex of Wishes|
|2020-07||Core Set 2021||Planeswalkers with their signature spells and five basic lands||29 (#285-313)||Signature Spellbook frames||Teferi features 4 slightly different artworks (#290-293).
The colored planeswalkers each feature 3 signature spells and a basic land depicting their home plane.
Ugin features no additional cards beyond his planeswalker card.
|Teferi, Master of Time|
|2020-08||Double Masters||Box toppers||40 (#333-372)||Full-art||First compilation set to feature showcase cards.||Mana Crypt|
|2020-09||Zendikar Rising||Cards with landfall||23 (#290-313)||Hedrons and brightly-colored travel posters||Spitfire Lagac|
|2021-02||Kaldheim||Viking Legends||25 (#299-323)||Geometric patterns reminiscent of chiseled stone Viking art with "metal" artwork.||Halvar, God of Battle|
|2021-04||Strixhaven: School of Mages||0||Replaced by the Mystical Archive cards.|
|2021-06||Modern Horizons 2||New cards (sketch treatment), fetch lands and modern cards (retro frame)||115 (#327-380, #381-441)||Sketches of the main card artwork. Instead of flavor text, fragments of the art description. Also retro frame cards.||First supplemental set to feature showcase cards.||Urza's Saga, Marble Gargoyle|
|2021-06||Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms||Creatures (rulebook treatment) and lands (module treatment)||60 (#299-349, #350-358)||"Classic rulebook frame treatment", pulled from the look and feel of the Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual. Classic module land frames designed to look like the bold, monochromatic adventure modules published for the first edition of the game.||Cloister Gargoyle, Evolving Wilds|
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "Project Booster Fun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "Do the showcase frames mean that we are going to see a mechanic with a unique frame in every set going forward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 05, 2020). "I thought that Showcase cards were going to be a regular thing, but it appears Theros has none?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mike Turian (June 5, 2020). "Collecting Core Set 2021". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian (September 1, 2020). "Collecting Zendikar Rising". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian (December 17, 2020). "Collecting Kaldheim". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Clayton Kroh (June 29, 2021). "Behind the Scenes of Booster Fun for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.