|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
87.5% 12.5%as of Commander Legends
History[edit | edit source]
The subtype was introduced in Magic 2010 with the Nymph-like Alluring Siren, which has the flavorful ability to induce an attack by a target creature. The Greek-inspired Theros block, predictably, included a number of new sirens, though not all use the siren's song trope.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Theros[edit | edit source]
Sirens of Theros feed mostly on seabirds and fish, enticing their prey with melodious songs, but they are more than happy to lure human sailors as well, eating their flesh and stealing their cargo. These sirens are physically similar to classical Hellenic ones, with feathered wings and other avian qualities.
Ixalan[edit | edit source]
Sirens in Ixalan also have avian features and the ability to fly. Some are pirates. Uniquely, several sirens are male. Ixalan Sirens settle along rocky coasts, on remote islands, and even on floating piles of kelp. They are mercurial creatures who can turn in an instant from loving to murderous — and back again. They are fascinated with ships, taking positions on ship crews with the Brazen Coalition — including, in at least one case, as captain.
Notable Sirens[edit | edit source]
- Malcolm — A male siren and navigator aboard Vraska's pirate ship, the Belligerent.
- Xandria — A former scholar of Meletis transformed into an immortal siren by one of the gods of Theros as punishment for falling in love with a young man the god had "claimed."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to the flavor text for Siren Song Lyre, even sirens themselves are vulnerable to the artifact's seductive power.
- Only two multicolored Sirens have been printed: Siren of the Silent Song and Shipwreck Singer, both from Theros block, and both costing black mana.
- Only two Sirens do not have flying: the original, Alluring Siren, and Dulcet Sirens.
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Creative Team (September 4, 2013). "Planeswalker's Guide to Theros, Part 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text of Siren Stormtamer
- Explore the Planes: Ixalan
- R&D Narrative Team (September 20, 2017). "The Talented Captain Vraska". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Troop (October 09, 2013). "The Consequences of Attraction". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.