|Race||Spirit, formerly Vampire|
Szadek was the parun (founder) of House Dimir, the blue-black aligned guild of Ravnica.  The last of an ancient race of psychic vampires, he resided in the shadows for ten millennia in an effort to eventually seize control of the entire city. This plan had him eventually attack the Decamillennial ceremony and, with the aid of his lupul and Savra, he almost destroyed the Guildpact. In the end, he was arrested by Agrus Kos for crimes against the Guildpact, which annulled the guildpact in itself since the pact dictated House Dimir's goal as opposing the Guildpact, making it impossible for Szadek to be legally arrested for crimes against it.
Death and reappearance
Augustin IV, finding Szadek in the Azorius' prisons, killed him and enslaved his ghost. He then sent Szadek to Parhelion to kill the Boros angels and their guildmaster, Razia. Later, Kos threw a grounder containing Szadek's spirit. Szadek broke out of the container and killed Augustin by removing his soul. Szadek plotted to destroy Ravnica using his newfound powers to control the spirits of the dead. It was also revealed that he had taken over the Agyrem district, which had fused with the rest of Ravnica. Kos, now a ghost himself, was appointed as his warden to make sure that he did not escape.
Even after the Agyrem vanished, Lazav, the new guildmaster of House Dimir, claims to have contacted Szadek's spirit and used that knowledge to reestablish the guild.
- Represented in:
- Depicted in:
- Thespian's Stage (by an actor)
- Quoted or referred to:
- Cory J. Herndon (2005). Ravnica Cycle, Book I: Ravnica, Wizards of the Coast
- Cassie LaBelle (October 3, 2018). "A Flavorful Guide to the Guilds of Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Cory Herndon (2006), Dissension. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast