|Introduced||Ravnica: City of Guilds|
|Last Used||Future Sight|
|Reminder Text||Transmute [cost] ([cost], Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same mana value as this card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle. Transmute only as a sorcery.)|
35.7% 35.7% 21.4% 7.1%
Transmute works by allowing a player to pay the transmute cost of a given card, discarding the card, then searching their library for a card with the same converted mana cost as the discarded card.
Transmute was created by Aaron Forsythe. It appears only on Black and Blue cards. There are no limitations on the cost, but all printed Transmute costs are three mana, two of which are colored: either , , or .
Unlikely to return
R&D have soured on Tutoring mechanics as they make games play out too similarly. Individual tutors are considered to be fine, but they don't currently plan to do whole mechanics like Transmute, anymore.
- A keyword ability that lets a player search their library for a replacement card. See rule 702.53, “Transmute.”
- 702.53. Transmute
- 702.53a Transmute is an activated ability that functions only while the card with transmute is in a player’s hand. “Transmute [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same mana value as the discarded card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Activate only as a sorcery.”
- 702.53b Although the transmute ability can be activated only if the card is in a player’s hand, it continues to exist while the object is on the battlefield and in all other zones. Therefore objects with transmute will be affected by effects that depend on objects having one or more activated abilities.
- If you transmute a card with mana cost , for example, you can search for any card in your library with converted mana cost 2. It doesn't matter what type or colors that card is.
- You don't need to have another card with the same converted mana cost in your library to activate the transmute ability, and you don't need to find a card even if there is one.
Muddle the Mixture
Counter target instant or sorcery spell.
Transmute (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)
- Mark Rosewater (May 2, 2016). "Storm Scale: Ravnica and Return to Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (September 23, 2005). "Ravnica: Review and Preview". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 06, 2019). "Can I get a birthday trivia on my favourite guild - Dimir?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2018). "Could Transmute make a comeback in one of the upcoming Ravnica sets?". Blogatog. Tumblr.