|Symbol description||An atom|
Mark Rosewater (lead)|
Mark Rosewater (lead)|
|Art direction||Dawn Murin|
|Release date||Q3/Q4, 2022|
|Themes and mechanics||Dice rolling|
|Set size||244 + 292|
Unfinity is a booster-based card set for Magic: The Gathering. This is the fifth of the so-called Un-sets and is designed to be drafted. It is expected to be released in the second half of 2022. The release of the set was originally slated for April 1, 2022, but it was delayed due to ongoing supply chain complications from challenges associated with COVID-19.
Unfinity features science full-art space-themed lands: both basic lands ("spasic lands") and the Ravnica shock lands. Each of the 30 legendary creatures has a showcase card treatment done in a retro-pop style (dubbed the "showcase cards of tomorrow"). The set contains 244 regular cards (10 basic lands) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The regular cards include the spasic lands (5 "planetary" and 5 "orbital"). Alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. The borderless planeswalkers are #245-246. The showcase cards of tomorrow are #247 to #276. The borderless shock lands are numbered #277-286. The release card is #536. It is as yet unclear what cards are featured between #286 and #536.
Change to black borderUnlike previous Un-sets, Unfinity is black-bordered. Some of the cards will have an acorn-shaped holofoil stamp to replace the significance of silver borders.
According to Mark Rosewater, when silver border was originally dubbed "not for tournament play," that meant not for Vintage, Legacy, or Standard, but for every other format, especially the casual ones. Over the years, silver border slowly shifted to end up meaning "not for any official format, casual or not," which contradicted what it was originally intended to do. Rosewater realized that many cards in the set would be perfectly fine to be played in black border Eternal sets. R&D then looked for another way to express "silver border-ness" that didn't require a silver border and turned to holofoil security stamps. What an acorn security stamp means is exactly what a silver border used to. This is a card not meant for tournament play and should only be used in casual formats where all the players agree to its inclusion. These have been dubbed "acorn" cards. If a card has an oval security stamp (or no security stamp at lower rarities), it's legal in eternal formats (which includes Commander, Legacy, and Vintage). These have been dubbed "eternal" cards. This security stamp technology allows R&D to let the two different types of cards commingle in the same set. On common and uncommons the acorn stamp is printed on the card rather than embossed.
MarketingUnfinity is available in Draft Boosters, Draft Packs, and - for the first time ever for an Un-set - Collector Boosters. The set is only available in English.
There is a land slot in every Draft Booster and two in every Collector Booster (one in each type of foil). That land slot will have the planetary space-ic lands, the orbital space-ic lands or the borderless shocklands. This means every Unfinity draft booster has a land in it and every collector booster has two lands in it, one in each foil treatment. In addition, the ten Traditional Foil Shocklands are included as box topper in Draft Booster Displays and Collector Booster.
Unfinity features new tokens.
The storyline centers on "Myra the Magnificent's Intergalactic Astrotorium of Fun", a space carnival that travels the galaxy. The whole park is a series of interconnected flying spaceships that can move from planet to planet. The employees of the park are Goblins, Elves, Vampires and Zombies.
The set features circus, amusement park and carnival tropes. For science fiction, the set has robots, aliens, spaceships and technology. Magic itself is the main motif for the Astrotorium, allowing for many references to the game itself.
|Shock lands||Hallowed Fountain||Watery Grave||Blood Crypt||Stomping Ground||Temple Garden||Godless Shrine||Steam Vents||Overgrown Tomb||Sacred Foundry||Breeding Pool|
|Each of these rare nonbasic dual lands has two basic land types and enter the battlefield tapped unless its controller pays 2 life.|
- Mark Rosewater (August 24, 2021). "Is there a 2022 set you are particularly proud of?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 29, 2021). "Late to it, but huge congrats on yet another Unset...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 1, 2021). "Has the name of the plane for unfinity been...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Information below the text box
- Adam Styborski (August 24, 2021). "What Happened In Magic Showcase 2021?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 29, 2021). "To Unfinity and Beyond". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 20, 2022). "Unfinity RElease Date Change". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Showcase 2021 (live) (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (August 24, 2021).
- Ari Zirulnik (August 24, 2021). "I want to brag about the star-studded, out-of-this-world (space puns) writing team.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (August 25, 2021). "Can you confirm that they're the Ravnica shocks we all know and love? And will they be full art?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 30, 2021). "Is it too soon to say whether unfinity boosters...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 30, 2021). "Commons and uncommons can have the acorn stamp, right?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 2, 2021). "Will the unfinity cards be available on Arena?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Dorfbewohner (December 1, 2021). "Unfinity to have peel off sticker cards?". Reddit.
- WPN (November 29, 2021). "Prepare for Liftoff: Unfinity Arrives in April". Wizards Play Network.
- WPN (November, 2021). "Unfinity products". Wizards Play Network.
- Admin (December 7, 2021). "Magic: The Gathering to get cardboard packaging for boosters, starting with Unfinity?". Goodlookgamer.com.
- Mark Rosewater (December 19, 2021). "Can I get a maybe for glittering cards in future when the set up allows it?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 29, 2021). "Basic lands in unsets have appeared on every...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 1, 2021). "Does Magic the Gathering exist as a game in the world?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 2, 2021). "Would you describe the set as mono-colored, multi-colored, etc?". Blogatog. Tumblr.