|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
26 cardsas of Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
76.9% 7.7% 11.5% 3.8%
Unicorn is a white and green creature type used for cards that depict noble white horse-like creatures a large, pointed, spiraling horn in the center of their forehead. They often are symbolic of chastity or purity. It is said that these elusive creatures can only be captured by a virgin. Unicorns are hard to find, they don't care if you believe in them any more than you care if they believe in you.
The Adarkar Wastes, the barren, frozen plains of Ice Age era Terisiare were populated by unicorns (Adarkar Unicorn). Thanks to the meddling of the Rimewind, unicorns were drawn from the Ronom Glacier to do battle once again (Ronom Unicorn). According to Kjeldoran priests, seeing a unicorn was a great blessing and a sign of good fortune.
Bearded Unicorns are domesticated on Eldraine. The beautiful creatures have a softly gleaming silvery-white coat, a wispy beard, gentle eyes, and calming auras. Their healing magic works in concert with their riders. Although they seem to be a beneficent, peaceful race, they are easily able to impale adversaries on their shining horns, which also function as a conduit for their killing magic. Before they were domesticated, they used to live in the Wilds and the knights of those ancient days hunted them for their horns, which were sawed off and ground into a powder that was said to aid virility.
Mutant unicorns appear on Ikoria, having hybridized with other horned mammals such as elks (Splendor Mare) or aurochs (Majestic Auricorn), resulting in extremely spikey creatures. They have life-giving properties.
A mysterious unicorn-looking creature, known as a Wishmonger, resided on Mercadia, granting wishes to those who knew how to ask for them.
Theran Unicorns appear to be creatures strongly assiociated with Nyx (Noble Quarry, Captivating Unicorn). His affair with Nylea once inspired the god Purphoros to forge artificial unicorns from opal (Opaline Unicorn).
- In the early years, R&D consciously designed Unicorns to be on the weak side as it had happened a few times by accident and had become a running joke.
- Zebra Unicorn was the only multicolored Unicorn until Modern Horizons produced Good-Fortune Unicorn more than 20 years later.
- Prized Unicorn from Magic 2010 was the first mono-green Unicorn. Doug Beyer thought that it should be green because of the overlap between the mechanic and the mythological flavor. It is hunted for its horn, so the Lure mechanic makes a ton of sense. It is also a natural beast, which is the sort of thing that green gets from a creative sense. The second mono-green unicorn, Noble Quarry, paid homage to the first in its' abilities.
- Based on its artwork, Wishmonger became the only known Unicorn-folk in the Grand Creature Type Update.
- The silver-bordered Ponies: The Galloping set features the creature type Alicorn, which is a winged unicorn. Besides that, there's also one Unicorn type card, Rarity.
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Unicorn||White||Creature — Unicorn||2/2|
- Kate Elliott (2019), Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest, Penguin Random House
- Wizards of the Coast (June 22, 2020). "The Lore of Jumpstart on the Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 25, 2019). "Little known fact about designing unicorns.". Blogatog. Tumblr.