|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
59 cardsas of Alchemy: Innistrad
6.8% 1.7% 55.9% 1.7% 5.1% 1.7% 3.4% 13.6% 1.7% 5.1% 3.4%
With the introduction of Warlock, all colors have a primary spellcaster, with Warlock being primary Black. Warlocks could be secondary be Blue or Red, but Arcavios had many part-white warlocks and Innistrad had mono-green and even mono-white ones.
Eldraine witches are humans who chose to live in the wilds, so far removed from humanity that they might as well be fair folk. They are usually cruel but can sometimes be seen as a ruthless force for justice.
A number of black-aligned spellcrafters are called witches (though some are shamans instead of warlocks). Some are necromancers, others make demonic pacts.
Dawnhart witches are mostly green and white-aligned warlocks that follow primordial, pagan traditions. After Avacyn's death they have taken to organising large festivities, hoping to beat back the darkness and lengthen the days. Members of the coven seem to have made a pact with a god called Ghrin-Danu.
Some took to worship the Coiled One, being a threat to even other members of the coven.
- Mark Rosewater (September 5, 2019). "I get that warlock is the new subtype". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Eli Shiffrin (September 27, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine Oracle Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 6, 2019). "Is Cleric considered a "spellcaster" type?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 21, 2019). "More Odds & Ends: Throne of Eldraine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 24, 2020). "Warlocks are primary in black. Would secondary be Red?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 6, 2019). "in DnD a wizard is a learned spellcaster, where a warlock makes some sort of deal for power.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 6, 2019). "Still confused as to how warlock won out over witch.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 4, 2019). "Why was Warlock chosen over Witch?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 6, 2019). "Does the Warlock type preclude the use of the Hag type?". Blogatog. Tumblr.