|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
9 cardsas of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
22.2% 11.1% 66.7%
Weirds are a red/blue creature type and a subspecies of Elementals. Weirds are a creature type unique to the Izzet League on Ravnica, and function as ubiquitous lab assistants and "pets" of Izzet League members.
Created by Niv-Mizzet, the Izzet League parun and guildmaster, supposedly during the Katazar-Razblat Elemental Symposium and so to produce elementals that might be more stable and easier to control, weirds are the semi-sentient, walking-paradox result of a fusion of elementals of opposing elements, such as of fire and water or of earth and electricity. Contrary to the intention of Niv-Mizzet's experiments, weirds are more erratic and wilder than elementals of their constituent elements; but, they are nevertheless potent fighting familiars or guardian creatures.
Numerous Izzet chemisters are oblivious to the innumerable machinations of their guild, instead obsessively preoccupied with creating the "perfect" weird. Now, weirds have come to be the ubiquitous lab assistants, as well as becoming magically bound into a great many forms of machinery and infrastructure to ensure proper workings and efficiency. Azorius lawmages would like to outlaw the creation of weirds, but first, they'd have to settle their long-standing debate on how to classify them.
Weirds tend to be constructed with vaguely humanoid forms, their "skin" being self-sealed "plasmodermic bubbles" containing the diametrically-opposing energies that give them life. Different types of weirds include petrahydroxi (created from living stone as well as fire and water), gelectrodes (created to conduct electricity), blistercoils (research drones), and steamcores (the basic type, used to power Izzet machinery).
In the cards
Three weirds were printed in Ravnica block:
They are also created by:
Return to Ravnica block
Weirds were also featured in the Return to Ravnica block,
- Blistercoil Weird
- Frostburn Weird
- Melek, Izzet Paragon, a legendary Weird wizard specially created to compete as the guild champion maze-runner.
- Turn//Burn is an instant that turns a target creature into a red Weird with base power and toughness 0/1.
Guilds of Ravnica block
Weirds were absent in Guilds of Ravnica because Izzet was spell-centric and thus has the least amount of creatures. Weirds lost out on numbers in design. War of the Spark, however, featured two weirds who appeared to be simple monocolored elementals that worked together. Their flavor text seems to imply that they eventually would become one weird.
Core Set 2021
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Weird||Blue||Creature — Weird||3/3||Defender, flying|
|Weird||Blue/Red||Creature — Weird||X/X|
- Matt Cavotta (March 1, 2006). "An In-Depth Look at the Izze- Hey, Look at That!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Rei Nakazawa (January 9, 2006). "Signing Onto the Guildpact". Magicthegathering.com.
- Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari flavor insert
- Mark Rosewater (September 25, 2018). "I can't be the only one that is disappointed in the lack of Weirds.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 30, 2018). "Have we seen the last of Weirds?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Chris Mooney (April 4, 2019). "Wanna See Something Weird?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (March 21, 2006). "Guildpact Token Art 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (March 16, 2006). "Sketches: Thunderheads". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.