A Wish is an effect that brings one or more cards "you own from outside the game" into your hand. In a casual game, a card you choose from outside the game comes from your personal collection. In a tournament event, a card you choose from outside the game must come from your sideboard.
Following the original cycle, several wishes have been printed:
- Coax from the Blind Eternities () — Eldrazi typed
- Collector Protector () — to an opponent; silver-bordered
- Frontier Explorer () — Plains; is a test card
- Glittering Wish () — multicolored; shares naming with the original cycle
- Granted () — noncreature card
- Karn, the Great Creator () — artifact; -2 loyalty ability
- Legion Angel () — another copy of Legion Angel
- Mastermind's Acquisition () — is a modal spell; the alternate mode is a tutor effect
- Research () — shuffles four into library
- Ring of Ma'rûf () — printed before the original wishes
- Spawnsire of Ulamog () — Eldrazi typed; cast for free
- Spike, Tournament Grinder () — banned cards; silver-bordered
- The Raven's Warning () — Chapter III is a wish effect to the top of the library
- Vivien, Arkbow Ranger () — creature; -5 loyalty ability
- Wish () — any card, must cast that turn
- Wizened Arbiter () — white cards; a test card
Unless otherwise stated, the cards go into the hand. The wish effects of Coax from the Blind Eternities and Karn, the Great Creator can also be used to bring back a card from exile instead of bringing in a card from outside the game.
A wishboard is a sideboard for a deck that is intended to be used in conjunction with wishes. Often, these sideboard cards are not intended to ever be sided into the main deck between games; rather, one of the wishes is used to retrieve the cards instead. The intent of this strategy is to not devote main deck space to cards that may be irrelevant in any particular match-up. Instead, one trades game tempo for the ability to have the correct answer every game. This is, of course, assuming that the wishboard contains the proper answers.
- Learn - A form of Wish that specifically targets Lesson cards.
- Companion - A form of Wish that is for an individual.