|Reminder Text||Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)|
28% 28% 12% 4% 4% 8% 4% 8% 4%
Description[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that affects how an object deals damage to a creature. See rule 702.80, “Wither.”
- 702.80. Wither
- 702.80a Wither is a static ability. Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that source’s controller to put that many -1/-1 counters on that creature. See rule 120.3.
- 702.80b If a permanent leaves the battlefield before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known information is used to determine whether it had wither.
- 702.80c The wither rules function no matter what zone an object with wither deals damage from.
- 702.80d Multiple instances of wither on the same object are redundant.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Wither's effect applies to any damage, not just combat damage.
- The -1/-1 counters remain on the creature indefinitely. They won't be removed if the creature regenerates or the turn ends.
- Since damage from a source with wither is real damage, it follows all the other rules for damage. It can be prevented or redirected. When it's dealt, it will cause lifelink and other similar abilities to trigger.
- If the source of the damage is still on the battlefield at the time that damage is dealt, its characteristics are checked to see if it has wither. If the source has left the battlefield by then, its last known information is used.
- Damage from sources with wither affects players and planeswalkers normally.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Elemental Warrior
Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
Cards that grant Wither[edit | edit source]
- Corrosive Mentor (black creatures you control)
- Fists of the Demigod (as long as enchanted creature is black)
Plane card that grants Wither[edit | edit source]
- Raven's Run (all creatures)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (April 14, 2008). "Shadowmoor than Meets The Eye, Part III". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 14, 2008). "Wither Art Cues". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 16, 2019). "What colours are primary, secondary and tertiary in Wither?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Dave Humpherys (April 4, 2017). "Developing Amonkhet". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Shadowmoor 2: Wither (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.